UBC Alert is the university’s mass notification system to send alerts in urgent situations that pose an immediate safety or security risk to the community. The system is supplied by an external organization called AppArmor, and messages are coordinated on UBC’s main website ubc.ca, Twitter @ubcnews, and digital signage across campus
Please add the UBC Alert phone numbers to your contact list so you are aware of any incoming UBC Alert notifications.
Voice calls: 604-670-8223
Text messages: 723-389
Why is this needed?
In an urgent situation on campus, we want to increase the likelihood that students, faculty, and staff receive the latest information about what is happening as soon as possible. This way, you can make informed decisions that prioritize your personal safety.
These kinds of systems are becoming common in Canadian colleges and universities, and are part of the university’s commitment to proactively plan for rare but possible emergency situations.
When will UBC Alert be used?
UBC Alert will be used in active and urgent situations that require your immediate attention because they have the potential to:
- Result in serious harm to people;
- Cause substantial damage to property; and/or
- Disrupt the usual activities of the university.
UBC Alert will broadcast information in situations such as:
- Campus closures due to severe weather
- Building evacuations because of infrastructure- or security-related issues; and/or
- The rare case of an active threat situation and the call to Get out. Hide. Fight
The Director of Emergency Management will determine on a case-by-case basis if the size and severity of the incident has a likelihood of impacting the UBC community, property or operations and warrants the use of the system.
Sign up for UBC Alerts
Faculty and Staff
Including a mobile number in your Workday contact information will enable UBC to send you alerts in urgent situations that pose an immediate safety or security risk to the community.
You can review and edit your contact information by logging into Workday.
For information on how to access Workday and update your contact information, visit the Workday Knowledge base.
If you encounter problems when using Workday, please visit the Integrated Service Centre (ISC).
Log into the UBC Student Service Centre.
Add your cell phone number to ‘Your Details.’
University Neighbourhoods Association (UNA) Residents
Your UNA Account primary contact number is connected to UBC Alert. If you have a UNA Account, we encourage you to check if your emergency contact information is correct by updating your “Primary Phone” on your UNA Profile Page. Alternatively, you can email email@example.com for updates or changes.
If you do not have a UNA Account, you can sign up online or by visiting any UNA community center.
Download the UBC Safe App
UBC Safe is the official mobile safety app of UBC Vancouver (Point Grey). This multi-function app allows you to receive important safety push notifications, safety information, contacts, maps and procedures — all in one place!
- UBC push notifications: Turn on your push notifications to receive immediate information and updates that are impacting the entire campus — e.g. weather advisories, class cancellations, etc.
- Campus resources: Access important safety and support resources in one convenient place.
- Critical services: Connect with Campus Security for assistance, access First Aid when needed, or arrange for SafeWalk to your car.