Notice a suspicious object
- Do not touch or disturb the object.
- Note the location and description of the object and provide that information to Campus Security at 604.822.2222
- Wait for instructions from Campus Sercurity.
- Be prepared to evacuate.
Suspicious envelopes or packages
- If you have opened the letter, or package, set it down gently where you first read/opened it. Leave it alone, remain calm and avoid sudden movements.
- Inform a co-worker in the immediate area about what has happened and ask them to call Campus Security at 604.822.2222.
- Move to an area where you can avoid contact with others and stay there.
- Remain calm. Exposure does not mean that you will become sick. Campus Services will make sure you receive specific information about symptoms and effective treatment.
Common features of suspicious letters or packages:
- No return address; postmark or name of sender is unusual.
- Excessive or inadequate postage.
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses.
- Misspelling of common words.
- Restrictive markings such as “Confidential”, “Personal”, etc.
- Excessive weight and/or a feeling of a powdery substance.
- The letter/package is lopsided or unusually thick.
- Rub-on block lettering.
- Threat of any type of contamination.